Friday 16 December 2011

Playing with Pattern in Poland


Toy axe. Polychromy on wood, painted geometric ornamentation. Haft decorated with a painted, diagonal stripe around the circumference. Kraków, early 20th c.


Red wool decorations on the sleeves of man's sukmana coat, the so-called chrzanówka.
Western Krakowiak Folk, Kraków-Bronowice, early 20th c.



 Black felt hat (3081) decorated with the so-called raki, or a leather strap with brass studs (15813).Szczawnica Highlanders, Szczawnica, P. Nowy Targ, early 20th c.


 Embroidered openings (no pockets) on the side of man's płótnianka coat.
Eastern Krakowiak Folk, Proszowice, 19th-20th c. 



Decorated fastening of a woman's kaftanik bodice: black velvet appliqué with embroidered flowers, trimmed with silk tape. Western Krakowiak Folk, probably Modlnica area, P. Kraków, 1920s-1930s (?) 


Over eight hundred entries describing exhibits selected by us from the collections of the Ethnographic Museum in Krakow form a specific catalogue of colours, motifs, fabrics and form.


I could spend hours playing around with the Ethnographic Pattern Book

If I were a toy or a fashion designer, this is where I would seek my inspiration.

Look here and here
I definitely need to go back in, when I have more time. 

Enjoy!


 

4 comments:

  1. moi aussi j'aime me perdre dans ce type d'album... jolie selection! Belle Journée..

    ReplyDelete
  2. His link is sheet heaven to me! Thanks and have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow wee, what a collection!
    Fabulous link Deb, thanks for sharing, clever you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear there goes Saturday morning . . .
    :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts so please leave me a message and brighten up my day. Merci!